Tonight in the heart of Wales a very special event happened that brought together the family scions of Tolkien while also raising money for ALS; which by way of the viral Ice Bucket Challenge became one of the notable internet phenomena of 2014. Motor Neurone Disease touches closely on the family, as Royd Tolkien’s brother Mike struggles with its effects. (more…)Posted in Events, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Miscellaneous, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, Tolkien Family, Uncategorized, Warner Bros.
Archive for the ‘Film Screenings’ Category
The winners of last month’s Hobbit Fan Contest that got to go to New Zealand and watch an in-progress cut of “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” and experience the beautiful scenes of the north and south islands and the hospitality of Air New Zealand and Tourism New Zealand, won their spots by producing short films.
As reports from the experience suggest, there was a great bonding of the 75 winners and their guests during the week-long tour of Middle-earth. These bonds are on display in a “thank you” video that the group organized to give to Peter Jackson and all the many folks who helped make the trip amazing. There is even a nod to TheOneRing.net which honestly touches us.
Turns out that crew can make a pretty great video with parts from all around the world. Their sincerity and appreciation really comes through and will make all fans proud. Enjoy! #HobbitFanContestPosted in Contests, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Fran Walsh, Hobbit Fan Contest, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jed Brophy, John Callen, Locations Sets, Mark Hadlow, Meet Ups, Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, Richard Taylor, Stephen Hunter, Studios, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, Warner Bros., Wellington, WETA Cave, WETA Digital, WETA Workshop
Richard Armitage was a very busy man this week in London! Not only was he on the red carpet and at press junkets for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies; he also attended a party celebrating the release of the big screen version of the Old Vic’s production of The Crucible.
Armitage starred last summer as John Proctor in Arthur Miller’s play. The production was filmed, and has been shown at cinemas in the UK and Ireland on Dec 4th – and will screen again on Monday 7th Dec. Future presentations are planned; you can check back for dates at the Crucible on Screen website, here – where you can also access an exclusive interview with Armitage.
Posted in Events, Film Screenings, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Richard Armitage, Stage Productions, The Hobbit
Should you find yourself in Los Angeles next week and the week after, there will be plenty of Hobbity goodness to go around. And if you are not in LA, a few of the events will be covered so that you don’t miss any of the fun.
1) First up on Monday, December 8 with Peter Jackson receiving a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This will begin at 11:30am and run till about 12:15pm. The Walk of Fame website will be live streaming the ceremony, which means everyone can enjoy it even if you can’t be here with us. For those who do decide to attend, TORn will be hosting a lunch moot at the Cabo Wabo Cantina inside the Hollywood and Highland complex. The Star Ceremonies are open to the public, but they do not allow chairs or step ladders or anything that would impede walking. The ceremony lasts for about 45 minutes once it is started and they expect everyone to clear out once it is over in order to reopen the sidewalk. Peter’s star is slated to be outside the Dolby Theater on Hollywood Blvd, so you can park in the Hollywood and Highland Complex. If you wish to attend you can check out our Facebook Event Page. Andy Serkis will be speaking during the ceremony and numerous other cast are scheduled to appear.
2) The Hollywood premiere for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will take place inside the Dolby Theater on Tuesday, December 9. The Red Carpet starts at 5pm, so do try and arrive before then. Last year’s Hollywood premiere was more of a press event and not very fan friendly, so just go into this with eyes open. Arrive early, bring lots of patience with you, be prepared to stand for a long while, bring water and comfy shoes, and be open to changing locations if security changes protocols 6 times on you. Regardless of what happens on the Red Carpet and with the screening, TORn will again be hosting a little moot in Cabo Wabo Cantina, which will be open until midnight. We do hope that we learn a few helpful hints for the Premiere at the Star Ceremony the day before, so stay tuned to our Facebook Event Page. Numerous cast are slated to attend the premiere.
One helpful suggestion for both events: If you wish to get autographs, make sure to bring with you everything you will need, including a good sharpie pen and the items you want signed. And while large posters or the Chronicles books are lovely items to get signed, you are best bringing something small and easy to carry.
3) Next up on the very busy Hollywood Hobbit tour is Billy Boyd doing a live performance and then CD signing for the new Soundtrack for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on Wednesday, December 10. The event will be at the Barnes and Noble at The Grove, starting at 6pm. This will be a Wristbanded event, and they will begin to hand out those wristbands on Tuesday, December 9 at 9am once the soundtrack officially goes on sale. So, if you will be heading to the Premiere, swing past the Grove, pick up your soundtrack and get a wristband. For more details, please visit our Facebook Event Page for more details.
That’s it for next week, but then the film will be released the week after and our line parties kick into full gear.
4) Marathon Monday at the TCL Chinese theater on Monday, December 15 starting at Noon. This will be the first publicly available screening of the final film, and TORn will be there with Trivia, games and prizes for one and all. Please visit the Facebook Event Page.
5) On Tuesday, December 16 at 7pm, the TCL Chinese will hold their first screening of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in IMAX HFR 3D. More fun and games will ensue. For more details, please visit the Facebook Event page.Posted in Andy Serkis, Billy Boyd, Director news, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Line Party, Meet Ups, Music, Other Events, Peter Jackson, Premieres, soundtrack, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Last week we posted about the Live Orchestra performance of the LOTR trilogy, we can now provide you with the full details for this special event, grab your tickets fast!Posted in Concerts, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
HFR, IMAX, 3D, Atmos, D-Box. Making sense of all the theatrical formats for The Battle of the Five Armies
Tickets for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies went on sale Friday, and it came with a bit of confusion. There are multiple screenings in multiple theaters with all sorts of strange terms attached to them: HFR, Atmos, IMAX, etc. to name a few – to say nothing of whether or not it’s in 3D.
With ticket prices the way they are, you may be a little hesitant to push the “purchase” button on your ticket order in case you mistakenly selected a show in a format you don’t want to see.
Or you may have not even gotten that far, and simply gone cross-eyed at all of the acronyms and strange terms on Fandango, MovieTickets, or whichever portal you prefer, silently crying, “WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!” Your local theaters may not have all of these flavors, and thus your choice is much easier. But many of you may have hit a wall of indecision. (more…)Posted in Events, Film Screenings, Headlines, Hobbit Movie, Line Party, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
A couple months ago we announced the big LOTR trilogy screening announcement for the Lincoln Center in NY where a full symphony and choir accompanies each film in a live, soundtrack performance. Having seen the first two, this is a ‘not to be missed’ event, unless you were denied tickets when the ROTK sold out.
Well, never fear, the Symphony Silicon Valley has picked up the quest and will be running two cycles of the trilogy in San Jose in mid-April. Run, do not walk and get yourself your tickets for this amazing performance of the much loved set of films and musical scores. You can read all the details HERE.Posted in Concerts, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
A lucky fan could win a VIP Experience at the London Premiere of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, as the special guest of Evangeline Lilly.
— EL (@EvangelineLilly) November 4, 2014
All you have to do is make a small donation to First Book, and you will be entered to win this fabulous trip to London to hit the premiere with Evie! There are other great rewards you can get for making a donation too.Posted in Contests, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Premieres, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Readers will remember that Richard Armitage appeared as John Proctor in Arthur Miller’s The Crucible at the Old Vic theatre this Summer. Many fans were able to make the trip to London to see the show – and TORn staffer greendragon’s review can be read here.
For those who weren’t fortunate enough to see the production live, the good news is that it was filmed and will be shown in cinemas. Currently there are only dates in the UK – December 4th and 7th – but ‘with further worldwide territories to be announced shortly’. We’ll bring you that updated information as soon as we have it!
Meanwhile, if you’re in the UK, buy your tickets to see a screening of The Crucible here.
Thanks to Ringer kiwifan for the heads up!Posted in Events, Film Screenings, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, Richard Armitage, Stage Productions, The Hobbit
Sir Ian McKellen starts this video introduction to announce the World Premiere date for the final chapter of Peter Jackson’s cinematic Middle-earth films. We now know for sure that the cast and crew from all six films will be walking through Leicester Square on December 1, 2014 in London. Sir Ian was joined by Richard Armitage, Luke Evans, Orlando Bloom and Bilbo Baggins himself, Martin Freeman. Check out the video below for more details and start making your plans accordingly. There is mention of a contest, so good luck to anyone who chooses to enter.
For the first time in North America, the complete film trilogy The Lord of the Rings will be presented live, in concert, at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, New York, April 8-12, 2015. Beneath a giant screen, the Academy Award-winning scores by Howard Shore will be performed by 250 musicians, on stage, including symphony orchestra, chorus and soloists, in two trilogies, Wednesday-Friday, April 8-10, and Saturday-Sunday, April 11-12. The production is created by CAMI Music, and follows acclaimed concert presentations of the first two films of The Lord of the Rings trilogy at Radio City Music Hall (2009 and 2010).
The Lord of the Rings, In Concert, at Lincoln Center, features the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra & Chorus of Lucerne, Switzerland, conducted by Ludwig Wicki, which specializes in bringing films and their scores to life, and performs an annual program of film concerts at the KKL Luzern. Soloists and chorus for the 2015 trilogy performances at Lincoln Center, as well as related forums and other events, will be announced at a later date.Posted in Concerts, Crew News, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Headlines, Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers
Once again the fine folks at American Cinematheque will be privileging us with the chance to watch all twelve glorious hours of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on the big screen. The screening will take place at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, California, on Saturday, August 30, and the first film kicks off at 1:00pm. There will be a 20-minute intermission between each film, and your nominally awesome TheOneRing.net staffers will be on hand to provide trivia contests and prizes during the breaks. The Meat in the Middle food truck will also be on hand for your elevnses, tea-time, supper, and dinner needs.
Tickets are available online now for $15 ($10 for Cinematheque members). TheOneRing.net is also giving away one pair of tickets to this special screening. How do you win? You show us your #MiddleEarthLife!
Win tickets: Show us your #MiddleEarthLife
Put on your favorite Middle-earth “lifestyle” and upload the best photo of yourself living a #MiddleEarthLife! We are looking for more than just costumes; show us how a Ranger, an Elf of the Woodland Realm, a Dwarf, or a happy Hobbit might enjoy their leisure time at home (or even in the garden). Even Wizards, Orcs, Eagles, or shape-shifting bear men can try their hand at this contest. One winner will receive a pair of tickets to the August 30 LOTR Trilogy screening at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica.
Imagine if Esquire or Vanity Fair magazines came by to do a “lifestyle interview” of you as a Middle-earth character — what kind of image would be shown as a splash page for your interview? Whether you are shown sporting, relaxing, cooking, gardening, or even other activities like horseback riding or climbing trees to see huge purple butterflies, we are looking for fandom to show us their creativity!
Use hashtag #MiddleEarthLife when you submit your images to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Feel your creativity flow and show us what your lifestyle is like as a character in a casual, fun setting. We will judge entries on how creative the costuming, how appealing the setting, and how closely it ties to the theme. You have until 12:00pm (PST) Wednesday, August 27, 2014, to post your submissions, and the winner will be notified by Thursday, 8/28.
Be sure to use the hashtag #MiddleEarthLife and tell us about your entry!Posted in Contests, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers