Archive for the ‘Other Events’ Category
The awards season is upon us with almost daily news about a critics group or association announcing nominations or awards. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have announced the 10 contenders that remain in the running for a Best Visual Effects nomination at the upcoming 87th Academy Awards. The contenders will present an effects reel to Academy branch members who are eligible to vote on January 10, 2015. The final Oscar nominations will be announced on January 15. This is now the 3rd time that “The Hobbit” has made the short list. It was previously nominated in 2012 and 2013 for “An Unexpected Journey” and “The Desolation of Smaug”. “The Lord of the Rings” took this Oscar home in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
“The Battle of the Five Armies” is up against stiff competition with the likes of “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” and “Interstellar”. Here’s the list of the final 10 films:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
Transformers: Age of Extinction
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Yesterday, the Grammy nominations were also announced. “The Desolation of Smaug” was recognized in the category Best Song Written for Visual Media for Ed Sheeran’s “I See Fire”. Congratulations to Ed Sheeran for also being honored with Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album nominations for “X”.
Sources: Oscars.org, Radio.com
Join us in Los Angeles in February at The One Last Party
We’re hosting a Party of Special Magnificence next February — a final toast to all SIX movies, both The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy.
We’re inviting you to join us and make it happen through our Indiegogo campaign — so we can all celebrate Peter Jackson’s Middle-earth movies together!
Visit our campaign page and find out how you can get involved!
Posted in Events, Headlines, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Should you find yourself in Los Angeles next week and the week after, there will be plenty of Hobbity goodness to go around. And if you are not in LA, a few of the events will be covered so that you don’t miss any of the fun.
1) First up on Monday, December 8 with Peter Jackson receiving a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This will begin at 11:30am and run till about 12:15pm. The Walk of Fame website will be live streaming the ceremony, which means everyone can enjoy it even if you can’t be here with us. For those who do decide to attend, TORn will be hosting a lunch moot at the Cabo Wabo Cantina inside the Hollywood and Highland complex. The Star Ceremonies are open to the public, but they do not allow chairs or step ladders or anything that would impede walking. The ceremony lasts for about 45 minutes once it is started and they expect everyone to clear out once it is over in order to reopen the sidewalk. Peter’s star is slated to be outside the Dolby Theater on Hollywood Blvd, so you can park in the Hollywood and Highland Complex. If you wish to attend you can check out our Facebook Event Page. Andy Serkis will be speaking during the ceremony and numerous other cast are scheduled to appear.
2) The Hollywood premiere for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will take place inside the Dolby Theater on Tuesday, December 9. The Red Carpet starts at 5pm, so do try and arrive before then. Last year’s Hollywood premiere was more of a press event and not very fan friendly, so just go into this with eyes open. Arrive early, bring lots of patience with you, be prepared to stand for a long while, bring water and comfy shoes, and be open to changing locations if security changes protocols 6 times on you. Regardless of what happens on the Red Carpet and with the screening, TORn will again be hosting a little moot in Cabo Wabo Cantina, which will be open until midnight. We do hope that we learn a few helpful hints for the Premiere at the Star Ceremony the day before, so stay tuned to our Facebook Event Page. Numerous cast are slated to attend the premiere.
One helpful suggestion for both events: If you wish to get autographs, make sure to bring with you everything you will need, including a good sharpie pen and the items you want signed. And while large posters or the Chronicles books are lovely items to get signed, you are best bringing something small and easy to carry.
3) Next up on the very busy Hollywood Hobbit tour is Billy Boyd doing a live performance and then CD signing for the new Soundtrack for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on Wednesday, December 10. The event will be at the Barnes and Noble at The Grove, starting at 6pm. This will be a Wristbanded event, and they will begin to hand out those wristbands on Tuesday, December 9 at 9am once the soundtrack officially goes on sale. So, if you will be heading to the Premiere, swing past the Grove, pick up your soundtrack and get a wristband. For more details, please visit our Facebook Event Page for more details.
That’s it for next week, but then the film will be released the week after and our line parties kick into full gear.
4) Marathon Monday at the TCL Chinese theater on Monday, December 15 starting at Noon. This will be the first publicly available screening of the final film, and TORn will be there with Trivia, games and prizes for one and all. Please visit the Facebook Event Page.
5) On Tuesday, December 16 at 7pm, the TCL Chinese will hold their first screening of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in IMAX HFR 3D. More fun and games will ensue. For more details, please visit the Facebook Event page.
Posted in Andy Serkis, Billy Boyd, Director news, Events, Fans, Film Screenings, Hobbit Movie, Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, Line Party, Meet Ups, Music, Other Events, Peter Jackson, Premieres, soundtrack, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has announced that the 2,538th Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame will go to Peter Jackson in a ceremony to be held on Monday, December 8 at 11:30am. The star will be located at 6801 Hollywood Blvd in front of the Dolby Theater, with the ceremony taking place in that same location. Andy Serkis will be the guest speaker with additional celebrities in the form of Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Richard Armitage and Elijah Wood. With all these folks in Hollywood that day, it now seems pretty clear that the previously supposed New York premiere on the same date is no longer happening.
Everyone at TheOneRing.net would like to issue Sir Peter Jackson a heartfelt congratulations, you will always be welcome at any and all of our fan events. After all, you helped create this thriving community of fans we foster on TORn.
The complete press release can be read below. (more…)
Posted in Andy Serkis, Director news, Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Events, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lee Pace, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Luke Evans, Meet Ups, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, Movie Return of the King, Movie The Two Towers, Orlando Bloom, Other Events, Peter Jackson, Richard Armitage, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Barliman’s chat op Miriel writes to tell us that tickets for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will begin in Finland on November 22.
Posted in Barliman News, Barlimans, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Ready your elven cloaks and dig out your dwarven armour — it is time to lay siege of the Lonely Mountain! Or in other words, we have the date for the Finnish ticket sales to the Battle of Five Armies. (more…)
New York ComicCon starts today, and TORn staffers are looking forward to meeting with fellow fans! We’ll be at Booth 3040 today – and every day this weekend! – with shirts, lanyards, posters and magnets for sale, and many fabulous prizes to be won!
We’re also getting ready to party with WETA and others tonight at The East Wing – sorry, we’re sold out, but for those who have purchased tickets, see you there!
And finally, don’t forget our panel on Saturday, 9pm, room 1A21: ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – an Unofficial Look!’
Ringers take the Big Apple by storm -we hope to see YOU!
Posted in Conventions, Events, NYCC, Other Events
Hobbits, and Rangers, and Elves! Not to mention Dwarves, and Easterlings, and Haradrim! All are welcome at Tolkien Forever‘s annual Hall of Fire event on Saturday, October 11. Every year this party seems to grow more elaborate as we take over a massive, multi-tiered yard at a private residence in Glendora, CA, and turn each nook and alcove into a different Middle-earth-themed experience. Share music and poetry in the Rivendell Pavilion, have dinner, supper, and tea in Hobbiton, peruse Smaug’s golden hoard, and raise a pint or three with the crowd in the Flaming Mûmak Tavern. Costumes are highly encouraged (although not required), and like the Hall of Fire in the House of Elrond, everyone is welcome to participate by bringing games, poems, stories, and music to share.
As the event is held at a private residence, the address will be sent to those who RSVP directly on our Facebook event page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All ages are welcome, but please be responsible for your children. The party is held in a big backyard with a pool in the middle of it. Some parts of the yard are dimly lit, so please be aware of your surroundings. All party attendees must respect the wishes of the home owners at all times.
For more information and to RSVP, visit the Hall of Fire’s Facebook page. To see pictures from previous events, click here and here! Tolkien Forever is the local Los Angeles Lord of the Rings fan club group and the L.A. Smial of the Tolkien Society.
What: Tolkien Forever’s Annual Hall of Fire Party
Where: Glendora, CA (RSVP to receive address)
When: Saturday, October 11, 2014, 6:00 p.m.
Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Other Events, Uncategorized
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS! SPREAD THE WORD!
Southern California Tolkien fans are invited to join in the merriment of TORN’s Annual Baggins Birthday Bash, which will take place on Sunday, Sept 21 starting at noon in Griffith Park in the Mineral Wells area. If you need help finding this location, look at the Directions below and at the Map, which clearly shows Mineral Wells near the Harding Golf Course. We will be celebrating the Birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, and rejoicing in each other’s fellowship. (more…)
Posted in Baggins Birthday Bash, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
The Retelling of an Unforgettable Journey.
Author Steve Ponty takes a unique look at J.R.R. Tolkien’s map-making methodology, in Middle – earth in Magic Mirror Maps… of the Wilderland in Wales… of the Shire in England.
Posted in Books Publications, Events, Headlines, Other Events, Press Conferences
Peter Kenny and the Brisbane Tolkien Fellowship have some amazing events coming up this September and October to celebrate all things Tolkien. So if you’re going to be in Brisbane from September 21st to October 4th come and join them for some wonderful Hobbity fun. (more…)
Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Lectures & Education, Lord of the Rings, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Tolkien Reading Day, Tolkien Toast
Two original John Blanche illustrations are due to go to auction at Sotherby’s in London on the 9th of December 2014.
These beautiful illustrations are of ‘The Battle of the Five Armies’, from The Hobbit and ‘The Destruction of Numenor’, from The Silmarillion.
The Battle of Five Armies. Published in-Ratspike by GW Books and Tolkien Bestiary by Mitchell Beazley Publishers and The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien
Downfall of Numenor. A scene by John Blanche from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Published in Tolkien Bestiary Mitchell, Beazley Publishers.
If you’re interested in owning one, or both, of these unique illustrations you can find out more information on their Facebook page – John Blanche Gallery of Illustrations
Posted in Artwork, Events, Fans, Headlines, Other Events, Other Tolkien books, Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Tolkien
Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want o enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most popular discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn’s Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join the fun!
Posted in Creations, Events, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Other Events, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien
We are so happy to be hosting an ‘offsite event’ here at San Diego Comic Con, and can’t wait to party like Hobbits and Dwarves with you all. So here are a few fast little facts you all need to know about the party.
1) The Laketown Luau is located at the Kona Kai resort and runs from 7pm to 10pm. 1551 Shelter Island drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
2) The Kona Kai is on the TEAL shuttle route, which takes about 30 minutes drive time, each direction. Or you can drive there in about 20 minutes, just take N. Harbor up past the airport, turning left on either Scott road or Rosecrans, the left again onto Shelter Island drive, with the Kona Kai being the last hotel on the island.
3) We are Sold Out. If you did not buy tickets on the Eventbrite page, or get an email from me (Garfeimao), you are not on the guest list. There will be no additional ticket sales at the door beyond those who have received an email from me. The one exception is a contest we are currently running on our Facebook page. Simply leave a comment on the post regarding our newest sponsor, Jens Hansen Ringmaker, and a winner will be chosen and contacted shortly after Noon. They are hosting a complimentary Photo Booth at the party, but were unable to actually attend the party, so they wanted to offer you, the Fans, their tickets. You must either be in San Diego, or able to get here in a rather short period of time in order to take advantage of these tickets.
4) There will be games and contests and prizes, lots of prizes. Everyone will walk out of the party with something, maybe several somethings. Of course, you have to play the games and enter the contest to win the good stuff. Games include: Golfimbul (Goblin head Golf, with a baseball bat), Pin the Black Arrow on the Dragon (try and pin the Dragon in the heart), The Hula costume contest (see below), and there may be a few other little games tossed in for good measure. There is also a Tiki Piñata and the Photo Booth, so lots of fun and games to be had by young and old. This is a Family Friendly event.
5) The one contest that seems to have several people scratching their heads is the Hula dancing costume contest. But it’s quite simple, wear a costume, dance the hula, win something. There will be a prize or three for the best costumes, Tolkien themed and non-Tolkien alike. But there will also be prizes for the best Hula, or the funnest, or funniest, and non-costumed folk are eligible for this aspect. But the thing to remember is everyone entering the costume contest will be asked to Hula, solo or en masse, as you all see fit. We’ve posted Hula tutorials previously, and instead decided to post a general WikiHow post on how to Hula. Check it out at Dance Hula Wiki/How
6) Our Sponsors – This party absolutely would not have happened if a few of our friends had not stepped in to sponsor and support us. In addition to the aforementioned Jens Hansen Ringmaker as a Sponsor, we are also Supported by our long time friends, Badali Jewelry, who have been with TheOneRing.net since the very beginning. Our Co-hosting Sponsor for the party are the good folks over at WETA Workshop . They are graciously bringing several artists and numerous prizes to the event, you are sure to be blown away by some of the items prizes WETA is bringing with them.
7) Autographs – Don’t do it. This is a party, if any cast or crew should show up, be mindful of this fact and just chat, laugh with, and in general have fun with our special guests. Don’t be snapping photos without asking permission first, especially if using a flash. This statement is not an acknowledgment that any special guest will attend, just that it might happen and we’d appreciate you being respectful of this casual atmosphere.
Posted in ComicCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, WETA Workshop