Archive for the ‘Other Events’ Category
Barliman’s chat op Miriel writes to tell us that tickets for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will begin in Finland on November 22.
Posted in Barliman News, Barlimans, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Ready your elven cloaks and dig out your dwarven armour — it is time to lay siege of the Lonely Mountain! Or in other words, we have the date for the Finnish ticket sales to the Battle of Five Armies. (more…)
New York ComicCon starts today, and TORn staffers are looking forward to meeting with fellow fans! We’ll be at Booth 3040 today – and every day this weekend! – with shirts, lanyards, posters and magnets for sale, and many fabulous prizes to be won!
We’re also getting ready to party with WETA and others tonight at The East Wing – sorry, we’re sold out, but for those who have purchased tickets, see you there!
And finally, don’t forget our panel on Saturday, 9pm, room 1A21: ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - an Unofficial Look!’
Ringers take the Big Apple by storm -we hope to see YOU!
Posted in Conventions, Events, NYCC, Other Events
Hobbits, and Rangers, and Elves! Not to mention Dwarves, and Easterlings, and Haradrim! All are welcome at Tolkien Forever‘s annual Hall of Fire event on Saturday, October 11. Every year this party seems to grow more elaborate as we take over a massive, multi-tiered yard at a private residence in Glendora, CA, and turn each nook and alcove into a different Middle-earth-themed experience. Share music and poetry in the Rivendell Pavilion, have dinner, supper, and tea in Hobbiton, peruse Smaug’s golden hoard, and raise a pint or three with the crowd in the Flaming Mûmak Tavern. Costumes are highly encouraged (although not required), and like the Hall of Fire in the House of Elrond, everyone is welcome to participate by bringing games, poems, stories, and music to share.
As the event is held at a private residence, the address will be sent to those who RSVP directly on our Facebook event page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All ages are welcome, but please be responsible for your children. The party is held in a big backyard with a pool in the middle of it. Some parts of the yard are dimly lit, so please be aware of your surroundings. All party attendees must respect the wishes of the home owners at all times.
For more information and to RSVP, visit the Hall of Fire’s Facebook page. To see pictures from previous events, click here and here! Tolkien Forever is the local Los Angeles Lord of the Rings fan club group and the L.A. Smial of the Tolkien Society.
What: Tolkien Forever’s Annual Hall of Fire Party
Where: Glendora, CA (RSVP to receive address)
When: Saturday, October 11, 2014, 6:00 p.m.
Posted in Events, Fans, Meet Ups, Other Events, Uncategorized
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS! SPREAD THE WORD!
Southern California Tolkien fans are invited to join in the merriment of TORN’s Annual Baggins Birthday Bash, which will take place on Sunday, Sept 21 starting at noon in Griffith Park in the Mineral Wells area. If you need help finding this location, look at the Directions below and at the Map, which clearly shows Mineral Wells near the Harding Golf Course. We will be celebrating the Birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, and rejoicing in each other’s fellowship. (more…)
Posted in Baggins Birthday Bash, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
The Retelling of an Unforgettable Journey.
Author Steve Ponty takes a unique look at J.R.R. Tolkien’s map-making methodology, in Middle – earth in Magic Mirror Maps… of the Wilderland in Wales… of the Shire in England.
Posted in Books Publications, Events, Headlines, Other Events, Press Conferences
Peter Kenny and the Brisbane Tolkien Fellowship have some amazing events coming up this September and October to celebrate all things Tolkien. So if you’re going to be in Brisbane from September 21st to October 4th come and join them for some wonderful Hobbity fun. (more…)
Posted in Events, Fans, Headlines, Lectures & Education, Lord of the Rings, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, Tolkien, Tolkien Reading Day, Tolkien Toast
Two original John Blanche illustrations are due to go to auction at Sotherby’s in London on the 9th of December 2014.
These beautiful illustrations are of ‘The Battle of the Five Armies’, from The Hobbit and ‘The Destruction of Numenor’, from The Silmarillion.
The Battle of Five Armies. Published in-Ratspike by GW Books and Tolkien Bestiary by Mitchell Beazley Publishers and The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien
Downfall of Numenor. A scene by John Blanche from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Published in Tolkien Bestiary Mitchell, Beazley Publishers.
If you’re interested in owning one, or both, of these unique illustrations you can find out more information on their Facebook page – John Blanche Gallery of Illustrations
Posted in Artwork, Events, Fans, Headlines, Other Events, Other Tolkien books, Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Tolkien
Welcome to our collection of TORn’s hottest topics for the past week. If you’ve fallen behind on what’s happening on the Message Boards, here’s a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you’re new to TORn and want o enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most popular discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn’s Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join the fun!
Posted in Creations, Events, Fans, Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Other Events, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Announcements, TheOneRing.net Community, Tolkien
We are so happy to be hosting an ‘offsite event’ here at San Diego Comic Con, and can’t wait to party like Hobbits and Dwarves with you all. So here are a few fast little facts you all need to know about the party.
1) The Laketown Luau is located at the Kona Kai resort and runs from 7pm to 10pm. 1551 Shelter Island drive, San Diego, CA 92106.
2) The Kona Kai is on the TEAL shuttle route, which takes about 30 minutes drive time, each direction. Or you can drive there in about 20 minutes, just take N. Harbor up past the airport, turning left on either Scott road or Rosecrans, the left again onto Shelter Island drive, with the Kona Kai being the last hotel on the island.
3) We are Sold Out. If you did not buy tickets on the Eventbrite page, or get an email from me (Garfeimao), you are not on the guest list. There will be no additional ticket sales at the door beyond those who have received an email from me. The one exception is a contest we are currently running on our Facebook page. Simply leave a comment on the post regarding our newest sponsor, Jens Hansen Ringmaker, and a winner will be chosen and contacted shortly after Noon. They are hosting a complimentary Photo Booth at the party, but were unable to actually attend the party, so they wanted to offer you, the Fans, their tickets. You must either be in San Diego, or able to get here in a rather short period of time in order to take advantage of these tickets.
4) There will be games and contests and prizes, lots of prizes. Everyone will walk out of the party with something, maybe several somethings. Of course, you have to play the games and enter the contest to win the good stuff. Games include: Golfimbul (Goblin head Golf, with a baseball bat), Pin the Black Arrow on the Dragon (try and pin the Dragon in the heart), The Hula costume contest (see below), and there may be a few other little games tossed in for good measure. There is also a Tiki Piñata and the Photo Booth, so lots of fun and games to be had by young and old. This is a Family Friendly event.
5) The one contest that seems to have several people scratching their heads is the Hula dancing costume contest. But it’s quite simple, wear a costume, dance the hula, win something. There will be a prize or three for the best costumes, Tolkien themed and non-Tolkien alike. But there will also be prizes for the best Hula, or the funnest, or funniest, and non-costumed folk are eligible for this aspect. But the thing to remember is everyone entering the costume contest will be asked to Hula, solo or en masse, as you all see fit. We’ve posted Hula tutorials previously, and instead decided to post a general WikiHow post on how to Hula. Check it out at Dance Hula Wiki/How
6) Our Sponsors – This party absolutely would not have happened if a few of our friends had not stepped in to sponsor and support us. In addition to the aforementioned Jens Hansen Ringmaker as a Sponsor, we are also Supported by our long time friends, Badali Jewelry, who have been with TheOneRing.net since the very beginning. Our Co-hosting Sponsor for the party are the good folks over at WETA Workshop . They are graciously bringing several artists and numerous prizes to the event, you are sure to be blown away by some of the items prizes WETA is bringing with them.
7) Autographs – Don’t do it. This is a party, if any cast or crew should show up, be mindful of this fact and just chat, laugh with, and in general have fun with our special guests. Don’t be snapping photos without asking permission first, especially if using a flash. This statement is not an acknowledgment that any special guest will attend, just that it might happen and we’d appreciate you being respectful of this casual atmosphere.
Posted in ComicCon, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien, WETA Workshop
We are going all out with our Luau theme for the Laketown Luau, including a Lei for every attendee. This in addition to our Tiki Piñata and the Hula costume contest, including a mundane category for those not in costume. Don’t worry, there will be props to help you along. (more…)
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Tolkien
We are very excited to announce that our long-time supporters, WETA Workshop, have come on board to Co-Sponsors the Laketown Luau – A Tolkien Celebration! Weta will be sending a few little prizes to the party, along with a few of the artists attending the convention. This will be a great chance to hang out in a more casual environment with some of the people responsible for the look and feel of Middle-earth. Their sponsorship also allows us to drop the pricing down to $30 a person. Yup, you heard that right! For those who already have tickets, you will be receiving a $10 refund per person, and for those who were still on the fence, jump off that fence and join us at the Kona Kai for a night that will be truly memorable! [Buy Tickets]
We are also excited to announce Badali Jewelry is also participating at the Supporter level and will be providing some great shiny prizes for you to win during one of our gaming activities. More on the games and activities later on, but first, let’s get a little history on why a Luau.
Posted in ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Meet Ups, Other Events, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Tolkien
It is now just a little over 2 weeks from the start of San Diego Comic Con International, the biggest and most talked about Scifi/Fantasy convention on the geek calendar. We at TheOneRing.net have been busily planning for an epic week of Hobbity goodness to share with all of you, attendee and stay-at-home fans alike. This is your handy dandy little guide to when and where you can find us throughout the convention.
This year we will only be at one location on the Exhibit Hall floor, sharing space at the WETA booth #3613. We won’t have a huge amount of room in this booth, but then that is because WETA is pulling out all the stops for the final Hobbit film and ‘Bringing It’. You will want to make Booth #3613 a ‘must see’ location, even your non-Tolkien fan friends will want to visit WETA. So stop by the booth, say hello to TORn and WETA folks alike, buy some stuff, have your camera ready and enjoy the geekiness of all things Hobbit.
The full SDCC panel schedule will officially be announced beginning this Thursday, but here is advance notice of when our panel will take place.
An Unofficial look at the final Middle-Earth Film “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies” Thursday, 7/24/14, 5:00p.m. – 6:00p.m., Room: Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton Bayfront
The Hilton Bayfront is next to the Convention Center down near Hall H, and the Indigo Ballroom is probably the biggest room we have yet had at SDCC, so don’t be late and risk missing our sneak peek at the final film in the series.
Edited to Add 7/8/14: Warner Bros. has announced their slate of films for SDCC and The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies will be among them. Their panel will be at 10am on Saturday, July 26 in Hall H. Peter Jackson was confirmed to be attending, and will be joined by Director George Miller with Mad Max Fury Road. Also mentioned was Jupiter Ascending and there will be a sneak peek screening of Richard Armitage’s Into the Storm on Wednesday, July 23 at 10pm at the Reading Gaslamp Theater, but no word yet on how to snag tickets for that.
Throughout the weekend TORn staffers will be tweeting, posting pics and videos to Facebook, posting stories here, live streaming, and giving you as much Hobbit news as we possibly can. This will include some of the new projects the actors are working on that are also at SDCC, such as “The Strain” with Sean Astin, “Legends” with Sean Bean and “Outlander” starring Graham McTavish. See the video below for a message from Graham regarding SDCC:
Graham McTavish has confirmed he will be at SDCC, so consider this your official invite to our Laketown Luau on Friday night, beginning at 7pm at the Kona Kai resort on Shelter Island. The SDCC website has finally posted the shuttle routes and we can now announce that the Kona Kai is on the Teal shuttle route. You can find the shuttle schedule here and remember to click on the PDF link at the bottom for the map of the hotels and route information. The Teal route is set to take about 30 minutes to get you between the convention center and the hotel, but if you have a car, the distance is only 6 miles away.
You can only attend the Laketown Luau by purchasing a ticket at our Eventbrite page. With loads of games and a relaxed, outdoor environment, this will be a family friendly party, so bring the kids.
We will update this post or make a new one as soon as we have confirmation of what Warner Bros. might be doing for film previews, including “The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies” and whether PJ will put in an appearance. Same goes for confirmation on other film projects, such as Richard Armitage’s ‘Into the Storm” and Luke Evans’ “Dracula Untold”. We already know Outlander will have a premiere event during SDCC.
Posted in Characters, Comic Rumors, ComicCon, Conventions, Events, Fans, Graham McTavish, Headlines, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Cast News, Hobbit Movie, J.R.R. Tolkien, Luke Evans, Meet Ups, Other Events, Richard Armitage, Sean Astin, Sean Bean, The Hobbit, The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Tolkien