The unexpected party (1341)
TheOneRing.net is officially registered (1999)
- TheOneRing.net celebrates its 10-year Anniversary.
TheOneRing.net members unveil the TORn Mathom-house (2010)
- TheOneRing.net celebrates its 15-year Anniversary.
In celebration of Earth Day, here is a collection of Middle-earth moments in a special BS (Book Spoiler) post in the Main Discussion Board… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.
[TIME and BS entries are maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and are in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books from which dates and short quotes are taken are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.]Posted in Earth Day, Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, LotR Books, Return of the King, The Two Towers, TheOneRing.net Community, Today in Middle-earth
- Gandalf reaches Hobbiton (3018) (more…)
The following event(s) took place in Middle-earth on April 8th:
- The Ring-bearers are honoured on the Field of Cormallen (3019)
- The Ring-bearers revisit fair Ithilien (3019)
- The Captains of the West come to the Black Gate (3019)
- The Host is surrounded on the Slag-hills (3019)
- Downfall of Barad-dûr and the passing of Sauron (3019)
- Frodo and Samwise reach the Sammath Naur (3019)
- Gollum seizes the Ring and falls in the Cracks of Doom (3019)
- Minas Tirith (3019)
- Gondor proclaims their New Year (3019)
- Frodo comes home (3020)
- Birth of Elanor the Fair, daughter of Samwise (3021)
- The First “Tolkien Reading Day” (2003)
- Thorin and Gandalf’s chance meeting at the Prancing Pony (2941)
- In the early hours the Witch-king breaks the Gates of the City (3019)
- The horns of the Rohirrim are heard at cockcrow (3019)
- Denethor burns himself on a pyre (3019)
- Battle of the Pelennor (3019)
- Aragorn raises the standard of Arwen (3019)
- Dernhelm faces the Lord of the Nazgûl (3019)
- Théoden is slain (3019)
- Frodo and Samwise escape and begin their journey north along the Morgai (3019)
- Battle under the trees in Mirkwood; Thranduil repels the forces of Dol Guldur (3019)
- Second assault on Lórien (3019)
- The realm of King Brand of Dale is attacked (3019)
- Evening in the Morgai (3019)
- The wounded come to the Houses of Healing (3019)
- Gandalf hears the cry of the Lord of the Nazgûl (3019)
- Wounded Merry comes to Minas Tirith (3019)
- Aragorn comes to the City (3019)
- Frodo captured by the Orcs of Cirith Ungol (3019)
- The Pelennor is overrun (3019)
- Faramir is wounded (3019)
- Aragorn reaches Pelargir and captures the fleet (3019)
- Théoden in Druadan Forest (3019)
- Frodo is taken ill (3020)
Aragorn faces the enemy as the new day dawn (1419)
The charge of the Riders (1419)
Gandalf returns (1419)
Théoden and Gandalf set out from Helm’s Deep for Isengard (1419)
Frodo reaches the slag-mounds on the edge of the Desolation of the Morannon (1419)
Merry and Pippin try to stay high and dry (1419)
- Death of Boromir; his horn is heard in Minas Tirith. (3019)
- Meriadoc and Peregrin captured. (3019)
- Frodo and Samwise enter the eastern Emyn Muil. (3019)
- Aragorn sets out in pursuit of the Orcs at evening. (3019)
- Éomer hears of the descent of the Orc-band from the Emyn Muil. (3019)
- Frodo’s ordeal on Amon Hen. (3019)
- The Mirror of Galadriel (1419)
- Gandalf returns to life, and lies in a trance (1419)
From the moment movie goers first experienced Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship of the Ring, they couldn’t stop talking about every little detail no matter how small or obscure. In December 2001, one of TORn’s very brave Discussion Board members began collecting these observations on the LotR Movie Discussion Board and put them into a list. Very soon after, our brave collector disappeared leaving all of these wonderful observations floating loose in Wilderland!
Early in 2002, and being a chronic hoarder, I adopted the abandoned list and put out the word to the Movie Discussion Board that the collection was on again and to bring forth whatever they saw or heard that they took special note of and it would be added to the list. Here are some examples of observations:
The floodgates opened and the list quickly grew to over 700 observations that stood out to us as poignant, book-related, or so incredibly trivial it will make your eyes roll in disbelief. Well, we’re geeks… what’d you expect? Every few weeks during the film’s run, I put out a call for more or collect observations from Members’ posts! The challenging part was sorting out duplications (or similar observation), putting everything in chronological order and in filmic chapters. I also did a little editing when needed 😉 Then… with the release of the extended dvd…I added those observations and marked each one with double asterisks to highlight them. Believe it or not, we’re always finding more!! Here’s an example of the results:
1. When the New Line logo appears, you can hear the same ringing sound the One Ring makes throughout the film!
2. In the film and soundtrack there are chapter titles from The Fellowship of the Ring and The Hobbit are worked into story – From the soundtrack: “The Shadow of the Past”; “The Treason of Isengard”; “The Black Rider”; “A Knife in the Dark”; “Flight to the Ford”; “Many Meetings”; “The Council of Elrond”; “The Ring Goes South”; “A Journey in the Dark”; “The Great River”; “Amon Hen”; “The Breaking of the Fellowship”–From the film: “A Long-Expected Party”; “Shortcut to Mushrooms”; “The Bridge of Khazad-dûm”; “Lothlórien”; “Mount Doom”; “Strider”; shows the “Sign of the Prancing Pony”–and From The Hobbit; “Riddles in the Dark”; “Not at Home”; “Concerning Hobbits.”
3. The three Ring-bearers at the beginning of the film are the ORIGINAL three (i.e. Galadriel, Gil-galad and Cirdan)
4. When Galadriel holds up her hand wearing Nenya in the prologue, the faint wrinkles on her hands disappear, and they become younger.
5. Only the Elves wear their Rings, and these Rings are not taken by Sauron [ref: The Silmarillion]; all the Elves wear their rings on the middle finger while Sauron wears his Ring on the Finger of Ego, the Index Finger; The Dwarves inspect their rings then hold their Rings away from them; the Men keep their rings close to them. They are the only group which stares straight ahead like Zombies.
One of the changes I made to the original list was that nothing of a nit-picky or negative sort would be added. Thinking of everything Peter Jackson and the hundreds of people who made these films had gone through to create three movies at one time, I just didn’t think it was right. Those observations were for others’ lists.
As each of the LotR films was released, I started TheOneRing.net’s The Lord of the Rings Geeky Observations Lists which ultimately grew to TheOneRing.net’s The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Geeky Observations Lists. Naturally, with the release of the 3 Hobbit films, we got busy on The Hobbit Discussion Board! All of the lists will be updated and very soon, so keep an eye out for announcements on the Geeky Observations Homepage New From Bree.
Because these lists are still active and growing all the time, feel free to share your own observations. Find me on the Boards where you can also find all of these links and more in the footer of my posts on The One Ring Forums Message Boards.
Posted in Creations, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community