- The Mirror of Galadriel (1419)
- Gandalf returns to life, and lies in a trance (1419)
Today in Middle-earth, January 15
The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, and the fall of Gandalf (1419)
The Company reaches Nimrodel late at night (1419)
From the moment movie goers first experienced Peter Jackson’s The Fellowship of the Ring, they couldn’t stop talking about every little detail no matter how small or obscure. In December 2001, one of TORn’s very brave Discussion Board members began collecting these observations on the LotR Movie Discussion Board and put them into a list. Very soon after, our brave collector disappeared leaving all of these wonderful observations floating loose in Wilderland!
Early in 2002, and being a chronic hoarder, I adopted the abandoned list and put out the word to the Movie Discussion Board that the collection was on again and to bring forth whatever they saw or heard that they took special note of and it would be added to the list. Here are some examples of observations:
The floodgates opened and the list quickly grew to over 700 observations that stood out to us as poignant, book-related, or so incredibly trivial it will make your eyes roll in disbelief. Well, we’re geeks… what’d you expect? Every few weeks during the film’s run, I put out a call for more or collect observations from Members’ posts! The challenging part was sorting out duplications (or similar observation), putting everything in chronological order and in filmic chapters. I also did a little editing when needed 😉 Then… with the release of the extended dvd…I added those observations and marked each one with double asterisks to highlight them. Believe it or not, we’re always finding more!! Here’s an example of the results:
1. When the New Line logo appears, you can hear the same ringing sound the One Ring makes throughout the film!
2. In the film and soundtrack there are chapter titles from The Fellowship of the Ring and The Hobbit are worked into story – From the soundtrack: “The Shadow of the Past”; “The Treason of Isengard”; “The Black Rider”; “A Knife in the Dark”; “Flight to the Ford”; “Many Meetings”; “The Council of Elrond”; “The Ring Goes South”; “A Journey in the Dark”; “The Great River”; “Amon Hen”; “The Breaking of the Fellowship”–From the film: “A Long-Expected Party”; “Shortcut to Mushrooms”; “The Bridge of Khazad-dûm”; “Lothlórien”; “Mount Doom”; “Strider”; shows the “Sign of the Prancing Pony”–and From The Hobbit; “Riddles in the Dark”; “Not at Home”; “Concerning Hobbits.”
3. The three Ring-bearers at the beginning of the film are the ORIGINAL three (i.e. Galadriel, Gil-galad and Cirdan)
4. When Galadriel holds up her hand wearing Nenya in the prologue, the faint wrinkles on her hands disappear, and they become younger.
5. Only the Elves wear their Rings, and these Rings are not taken by Sauron [ref: The Silmarillion]; all the Elves wear their rings on the middle finger while Sauron wears his Ring on the Finger of Ego, the Index Finger; The Dwarves inspect their rings then hold their Rings away from them; the Men keep their rings close to them. They are the only group which stares straight ahead like Zombies.
One of the changes I made to the original list was that nothing of a nit-picky or negative sort would be added. Thinking of everything Peter Jackson and the hundreds of people who made these films had gone through to create three movies at one time, I just didn’t think it was right. Those observations were for others’ lists.
As each of the LotR films was released, I started TheOneRing.net’s The Lord of the Rings Geeky Observations Lists which ultimately grew to TheOneRing.net’s The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Geeky Observations Lists. Naturally, with the release of the 3 Hobbit films, we got busy on The Hobbit Discussion Board! All of the lists will be updated and very soon, so keep an eye out for announcements on the Geeky Observations Homepage New From Bree.
Because these lists are still active and growing all the time, feel free to share your own observations. Find me on the Boards where you can also find all of these links and more in the footer of my posts on The One Ring Forums Message Boards.
Posted in Creations, Fans, Hobbit Movie, Lord of the Rings, LotR Movies, Movie Fellowship of the Ring, The Hobbit, TheOneRing.net Community
- The Fellowship of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk (1418 )
- Battle of the Five Armies – 2941 (1341)
- Battle of Bywater, and Passing of Saruman. End of the War of the Ring (1419) (more…)
- The Dwarves venture into the Mountain (1341)
- The Council of Elrond (1418)
- An angered Smaug searches the mountain (1341)
- Bilbo returns to Smaug’s chamber in the afternoon (1341)
- Smaug smashes the secret door (1341)
- Smaug attacks Lake-town (1341)
- Lake-town in the aftermath (1341)
- Elrond’s third day in his battle to save Frodo (1418)
- Bilbo and the Dwarves think of what to do next at the Hidden Door (1341)
- Escape across the Ford of Bruinen (1418)
- Gandalf and Elrond perceive the Black Riders at the Ford of Bruinen (1418)
- Frodo is brought to Rivendell (1418)
- Return of the King is published (1955)
- Thorin requests supplies (1341)
- Gandalf heads for Rivendell after escaping Weathertop (1418)
- The camp under Weathertop attacked at night. Frodo is wounded (1418)
- They cross the Ford of Bruinen; Frodo feels the first return of pain (1419)
- Frodo is again ill (1420)
- Samwise returns to Bag End (1421)
- The company of Thorin recovers in Lake-town (1341)
- Frodo reaches Bree at night (1418)
- Gandalf visits the Gaffer (1418)
- They come to the Grey Havens (1421)
- Frodo and Bilbo depart over the Sea with the Three Keeper (1421)
- The end of the Third age (1421)
Birth of Bilbo in the Shire (1290)
Bilbo and the barrels reach Lake-town just after sunset (S.R. 1341)
Birth of Frodo in the Shire (1368)
A long expected party!! (S.R. 1401)
Bilbo and Frodo’s birthdays (S.R. 1418)
The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening (S.R. 1418)
Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax (S.R. 1418)
The hundred and twenty-ninth birthday of Bilbo and Frodo’s fifty-first birthday (S.R. 1419)
Saruman comes to the Shire (S.R. 1419)
Bilbo’s hundred and thirtieth birthday. Frodo’s fifty-second birthday (S.R. 1420)
They meet the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings in Woody End (S.R. 1421)
Master Samwise rides out from Bag End (S.R. 1482)